A university strategic plan is an important document that formulates the vision, mission and long-term goals of a higher education institution. The function of this strategic plan is very important in directing the course of the university in the desired direction, as well as ensuring that all activities and development are carried out in accordance with that direction. Some of the important functions of a university strategic plan are as follows:
- Determination of Vision and Mission: Strategic plans help universities in formulating a clear vision and mission. This vision and mission guide all university activities and help in determining priorities.
- Long Term Goal Setting: Strategic plans help in setting specific and measurable long term goals. It helps universities in setting strategic priorities and planning steps to achieve those goals.
- Preparation of Action Plans: Strategic plans help universities in designing effective action plans. This includes the development of strategies and specific programs that can help the university achieve its long-term goals.
- Resource Management: Strategic plans help in managing university resources efficiently. This includes the allocation of funds, workforce, and other resources according to established strategic priorities.
- Improving Reputation and Quality: Strategic plans help universities in improving the reputation and quality of education offered. By focusing on achieving long-term goals, universities can improve their reputation and improve the quality of education and research.
- Adapting to Environmental Changes: Strategic plans help universities adapt to changes in the internal and external environment, such as changes in technology, labor market needs, or changing educational regulations.
- Attracting External Funds and Resources: A strong strategic plan can also assist universities in attracting external funds and resources, both from the public and private sectors, to support various strategic initiatives and projects.
Thus, strategic plans are an important foundation in guiding decision making and university management to achieve its vision, mission and long-term goals.